Mid-South Fencers’ celebrates our 12th year of operation this weekend! We hope you will join us in celebrating. Here is what’s happening:
Community Potluck and Pin Ceremony
- Join us Saturday night at 6:30pm for this semi-annual event. This is a great example of “healthy competition” where we all eat well!
- Thank you for your RSVP with the tasty dish you are bringing via eVite or on the Facebook event page.
- Celebrate each other’s accomplishments of this past fall.
- Please wear your favorite team wear for a group photo. #midsouthfencers
12th Annual Grand Open Tournament
- Registration closes Friday, February 7th, and pre-registrations are appreciated on Askfred.net.
- All events are sanctioned by USA Fencing and require competitive memberships.
- Women’s and men’s épée is scheduled for Saturday, February 8th, 2:00 pm.
- Women’s and men’s foil is scheduled for Sunday, February 9th, 9:00 am.
- Women’s and men’s sabre is scheduled for Sunday, February 9th, 11:30am.
- Entry fees are discounted $10 per entry with donation to Urban Ministries of Durham. Check their website for the types of items they need and donate generously!
Greater Community Giving
- We’ve picked Urban Ministries of Durham as how we will express our greater community gratitude. We are collecting all weekend and encourage you to review the list of items needed or give directly on their website.
Duke vs. UNC @ Duke
- Duke University hosts their annual collegiate meet this weekend. We encourage everyone who hasn’t attended this energetic event to go watch.
- Teams competing include: UNC, Duke, Brandeis, Johns Hopkins, Notre Dame, MIT, Penn State.
- Schedule is from 8:30am to 6:00pm with a lunch break from 12:30-1:30pm. Men’s teams are fencing on Saturday and Women’s teams are on Sunday. Exact schedule should be available on the GoDuke website closer to the event.
- Admission is free.
- More information about parking, etc. is at the Duke Fencing Meet page.
What’s new at age 12?
- We have two new staff members this season, Chris Leclercq and Cathleen Randall. Read more about them on our Coaches Page.
- Check our our new beginner offerings, including 1/2 day introductions and a couple’s event on Valentine’s Day.
- Our most decorated fencer to date is Sky Miller, as a senior, she is participating in the Olympic Qualification path and currently ranked 16th on Team USA rankings for Women’s Saber. We feel honored to have her leading the path for other young women and men.
- Coach Jen is part of a greater movement in the fencing community for transparent and equitable standards among our professionals. Look for news about the non-profit organization, WFencing, as we work to create more inclusive and equitable environment in everyone in our community.
Why are we 12 years strong? Passion. Commitment to something greater than ourselves. Much of our success too is in great part to us receiving, hearing and acting on your feedback to make us better. Please find us on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook. Thanks for sharing!
– Coach Jen
from Mid-South Fencers’ Club https://ift.tt/2GZfY9x